How I ended up living in Mexico because my husband needed affordable long term care

Friday, May 26, 2017

The Beginnings of My Unexpected Adventure

On February 25th, 2017 I was visiting my friends in Manzanillo, Mexico. They were asking after Robert, my husband who has Lewy Body Dementia and was living in an assisted living facility in Oak Harbor Washington. I told them his needs were becoming more than assisted living had to offer and I did not know what I would do next. Suzie said "bring him to Ajijic! They have excellent long term care for very affordable costs." I asked how far it was to Ajijic and she said it was a 4 hour drive. We made a road trip to Ajijic and looked at and interviewed facilities. I liked what I saw and felt. It felt like a bold, but viable alternative to spending our retirement funds for extended care in the U.S. A week later I returned to take a 6 day seminar on "everything you need to know to move to Ajijic." I was one of 4 women in a course led once a month called Retiring Lakeside in Mexico (www.retiringlakesideinmexico@yahoo.com) led by Earl French and John McWilliams. While there I further investigated facilities and decided La Casa Nostra (lacasanostra.com) was the right fit for Robert. It is the most expensive home I looked at. The cost is $1,800.00 U.S. per month and will not go up. Earl and John had a friend who had lived there during the last part of his life, and they had the highest praise for the facility and staff. After taking the seminar I felt confident I could do what was needed to make the move. It seems impossible to me now, but on May 10 we arrived in Guadalajara with two fabulous friends, George Parks and Kate Forster, and began the journey of living in Mexico. 
There were many difficult things to leave. I loved my life in Langley. I wanted to participate in one more Art Walk before leaving. Most of you have seen the email I sent regarding this last Art Walk, but since I'm looking at this blog as a sort of shared journal and history of this move, I will publish it here. 

It was a super successful Art Walk, both joyful and extremely sad for me, and marked the end of my art life in Langley. For now anyway. Studio 106 was a haven and a workplace like none other. Two watercolorists have joined Faye Castle and Barb Barry. Studio 106 is changed, and lives on! 
I did not burn any bridges. My condo, car, and motorhome are being well looked after in my absence. My dear cat, Arthur, is in a loving home and now has two cat brothers for playmates. I really thought Langley was the final home in my life, and was delighted with that notion. Life is full of surprises! So now we live in Mexico. Who would have thought? Let the Adventure begin. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Phyliis..really enjoying your notes from Mexico and have signed up to get more. Glad to hear that you are settling in there and getting adjusted in a difficult situation for you. I was in that area about 30 years ago and know about the American community in the area. I was wondering if you could give me some ball park figures on housing, rental or buying, food and such. Karen and I have talked about living someplace else possibly and would appreciate any input or direction online that we could find out more. Hope to get back there sometime soon or to Guatemala again. All my best, Ned

Joan said...

Hi Phyllis it's been awhile since I saw and met you in March. Lee as been keeping in touch with Rita. And Rita shared your blog with us. I just got done reading it, and it sounds wonderful. I hope your husband is doing much better and I hope they find the right meds to give him. We are planning our journey for our forever home in May 2018, couldn't come sooner, but yet so much to do. I don't know how you did it. I really enjoyed our friendship, you are one amazing women. Rita has invited us down or is it up not sure in October. And we would love to get together with you. Keep in touch. My email address is brojoa@comcast.net.

Your new friend

Joannie

609=703-5423