How I ended up living in Mexico because my husband needed affordable long term care

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Friendship


The support of my friends while I'm making this transition is humbling. I am rich in friendship and count my lucky stars every day. See my heart counting my lucky stars?

The day before Sue left Heida arrived.


The two of them made a lovely connection, which gladdens my heart. I love it when my friends like each other. Heida has known Robert since the 70's when she was starting her massage practice and Robert was a new MSW. They have a fondness for one another that comes from knowing a person for such a long time. Heida and Robert had some wonderful conversations recalling their shared past.


Robert is fully able to have super conversations when something or someone access' that part of his brain. It's a joy for me to be around when he shows up that way. Quite honestly he spends quite a lot of his time feeling pretty miserable. He was taking an anti psychotic drug for a bit that was agitating him. He knew it and I knew it. Delia also knew it. We stopped it and he has been less agitated but more depressed. If only we knew the magic pill to give him some relief and some peace. And, quite honestly, me too. He is ultra sensitive to drugs so it makes it really tricky to find the right combo. I have no idea how I would be if I was losing bits of my mind and my abilities to move. Heida and I had great conversations. She also has a husband with dementia, so we belong to an unchosen sisterhood. She was only here for 4 days, so we didn't get to explore a lot but it was a great comfort and support and delight to have her here. 

The evening of the day that Heida left Barb arrived, and Faye the next day.


They were here for 10 days, and we sure made the best of them. Both of them had decided they wanted to spend some time here next March when the NW winter is getting just a bit too long and dreary. Some of the time we were searching for rentals for March (which are hard to come by already.....its a popular time here), of course we visited Robert,




and we shopped til we dropped. Almost literally. Ajijic is a very fun place to go look at stuff. And also a great place to eat. It's a 10 minute cab ride, or a little longer on the bus. We did both. A cab is 70 or 80 pesos ($4.00) and the bus is 9 pesos (4 cents?). La Casa Nostra, where Robert lives, is in between so we often visited him for an hour or so and then went on to Ajijic. We discovered limonada con aguas minerals, and stopped to tank up whenever we were hot and tired. Which was often. Faye decided Robert's room needed cheering up (she was right). And she also felt there needed to be more of me in my beautiful home. Color spots. She needed colour spots. She was right, of course. We bought colourful wall hangings and a beautiful mirror and they bought the wonderful heart at the top of this page. Our favourite watering hole became The Beer Garden (romantic, eh?) in Chapala, a couple blocks from my house on the malecon overlooking the lake and the iconic CHAPALA sculpture where everyone has their photo taken. Margaritas or wine and guacamole, made right at our table, became our go to dinner. The guacamole girl pushed her cart to our table as soon as she saw us coming. Of course they bought jewellery and charming memory items and a few pieces of clothing in Ajijic. (Note the beautiful red leather purse I'm wearing in the photo with the 4 of us.....it was made especially for me by a many generations leather worker. Cost? 200 pesos). We walked the malecon in Chapala. We walked and walked. Since I don't have a car....walking is what we do. And it's been hot. And I sweat. And we bought a beautiful vase and an armload of flowers. My beautiful house is a bit more mine because of their visit. Now I see friends and love wherever I look. 


While they were here Bill and Suzie showed up for a night driving back to Manzanillo from New Orleans. Suzie was a hair cutter at one time (it's how I met her) so she gave Robert a long overdue haircut and beard trim, and we went out for drinks and guacamole. 


For being so unlucky with Robert's Lewy Body Dementia, we are very lucky duckies indeed. Obviously it's a mixed bag here. I wish I could help Robert find some peace. I don't like the heat. And it is beautiful and sweet. My house and garden and location could not be beat. Robert's care is excellent, patient and affordable (though he might not always think so). I have a feeling that when it cools down I will really know the charms of this place. I know I am curious about the coming months. And I'm in love with a turtle. I named him Tortilla. 

BTW both Faye and Barb made reservations for spectacular suites at Quinta Quetzlecoatl, www.chapalabnb.com the boutique hotel that occupies part of the compound where my house is, for the month of March. It was a careful process, and they both agreed they couldn't do any better than right here. I'm thrilled and look forward to having them for neighbours. 

Another BTW and follow up to Robert's stent, which is doing really well. No more chest pains. I called United Health Care, our Medicare supplement policy, and discovered they will pay 80%, less $250.00 deductible, for emergency medical services if we have not been out of the country more than 60 days. Heida is mailing my receipts (which were handed to me while we were still in the hospital) to United Health. I look forward to knowing what they will cover. 




No comments: