How I ended up living in Mexico because my husband needed affordable long term care

Monday, June 12, 2017

What a Pal! Sue's Visit.




Because I have had such supportive friends visiting me I have only lived alone here for 13 days out of the 32 since we arrived. Sue Van Etten arrived here from Whidbey Island on Friday, June 2, just a day after Robert had been released from the hospital after having a stent placed in his coronary artery. Sue was here for a week, and she provided much needed support to me while she was delighting in being here. It seems that Sue loved everything about this place, my house, the gardens, the people, the malecon, the food, the dogs, the horses, the weather. And most supportive to me, she loves La Casa Nostra. We visited Robert most (if not all) of the days she was here. She was impressed with the setting, the care, the staff, the residents, and the food. She talked with, held hands with, patted, looked at everyone she came in contact with. There are 20 residents at La Casa Nostra. Half of them are very sick and confined to wheelchairs or beds. The other half are ambulatory and able to carry on some sort of conversation. 

One resident in particular, Tony, has become a very close friend to Robert. They call themselves "heart brothers" and feel they knew each other from the first moment they met. They have long talks about philosophy, religion, and their lives. Especially, I think, they talk about the stage of life they are in. They are the same age, Tony's birthday is tomorrow. He will be 80. 

Robert has been especially lucky with friendships while living in assisted living places. I am grateful for Frank Phelan from Regency, and for Tony here. 

At la Casa Nostra there are several dogs who live there with their owners, and a couple who visit every day. There are also children around. The grandchildren of the owner are there some of the time, as well as the children of some of the nurses. People are coming in and out all day long. Several of the residents already lived in Lake Chapala, so they have friends from the area who come to visit, as well as family members. And, of course, there are the few who have no one to visit them. I'm thinking of a small sweet woman in a wheelchair who has a blank stare who reached out to hold Sue's hand as she was standing there. We both noticed that her nails were beautifully polished. In fact I think all of the women have polished nails. 

This is a photo of Sue and Robert and Ruth. They are sitting outside of Ruth's room which borders on the garden. The little dog is Ruth's. 

Robert is making a good recovery from his stent procedure. I can't help but think that this could have been discovered in the hospital at Coupeville on one of the times that Robert went to the ER with chest pains. They looked at his heart and since it is fine and healthy they called the pain anxiety or heartburn. This experience has, I hope, taught me to listen better to Robert. He knew there was something the matter. 

On the other hand, a symptom of Robert's Lewy Body is hallucinations or very negative ideas of what is happening to him. He also can not stand alone or walk anymore. I have no doubt that he feels imprisoned in his body. I can't even imagine what it must feel like to be so dependant and so nearly helpless. His upper body and arms and hands are still strong, and he can help with transfers from bed to chair etc. Sometimes he is grateful for where he is and appreciates the kind care. He can certainly have an in depth conversation. Robert is taking meds for the first time in his life. He is being carefully watched. Looking for the right combo to give him some peace. I feel it is long overdue, and really hope the right combo will be found soon. 

Meanwhile Sue and I walked all over Chapala and Ajijic, drank margaritas, went to my corner Argentinian bakery for frappuccinos and croissants and empanadas, and met a number of other gringo residents or gonna be residents. The community here is very welcoming and there are a number of organizations, Facebook pages, and websites dedicated to information and sharing and tips and meeting for ex pats. 

The day before Sue left Heida arrived! I'm rich in friendship. Each friend brings something special and needed to my new life here. Sue helped a lot with food finding and washing and prepping. She changed light bulbs and fixed things and was generally all around handy. I'm still figuring out things out. I had a bad cold for awhile and that slowed me down quite a bit. I'm better now.



2 comments:

Sue Van Etten said...

Hey, good job on inserting the photos! I'm honored to be so honored in your blog post. Love you, miss you, can't wait to come back again!

Cheryl Renee Long said...

Hi Phyllis,
I am a Seattle artist and I received your blog from Judith Morel. I spend as much time as I can in Mexico, usually a trip every other year. I just want you to know that I am most compassionate for your situation. I really admire you for your brave solution to provide care for your husband.

I will be following you and you have my very best wishes that you will be able to do art down there. I am very sure it will come into cycle. I will be watching for your next blog post.

Many Blessings,
Cheryl Renee Long